When you start a project or an organisation or a community, you sometimes get tricked into rushing.
There are so many needs and so urgent a case to be made for haste. But most projects fail or falter because they have not established secure roots, have not listened to the vision that arises from the need around them. In our hurry to help, we often create beautiful illusions that have all the right parts, but are not really all that empowering.
It is our desire to build something lasting here in Huanchaco. For this reason, we are moving one step at a time, building foundations, gathering a committed, experienced, caring team of volunteers and community members. We deeply desire the act of empowerment, reaching out to those neighbors here who long for a better life and a deeper life, a life beyond simple survival.
We will begin active work with communities by the middle of February. Right now we are growing strong, asking questions, gathering resources, brainstorming ideas.
Here are some of our future plans.
- Homework and school support for kids from poorer backgrounds.
- classes for parents about child development and nutrition, playing with children, developing some routines that give them security and safetry
- A medical free clinic in one of our pueblitos nearby, staffed with volunteer doctors, nurses and chemists.
- Puedo Leer, a children´s stories publishing project.
- developing a permanent trust fund for university scholarships, administered by a separate board. IF you are interested in joining this board, plesase contact Sarita here.
- Mentoring programs for girls and young women to encourgage them to delay pregnancy, develop their gifts and attend college or vocational school.
All of these projects are important and can save the lives of children who can then give back to their communities later on, but they will take seed time, watering time, growing time and nurture. Time. We have it and you can help us by either coming to LaCasaCorazon as a volunteer for 6 months or one year ( that intern position is still open!) or by donating to provide the small amount of money we need to simply recruit and train volunteers and keep our low maintenance headquarters open.
We have a paypal accout to which you can donate. please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. ( we are trying to open our LaCasaCorazon gmail account but they keep telling me they can’t verify it via my cell phone in peru! we are getting there..:) )
Tao Te Ching: #64
What is rooted is easy to nourish.
What is recent is easy to correct
What is brittle is easy to break.
What is small is Easy to scatter.
Prevent trouble before it arises.
Put things in order before they exist.
The giant pine tree grows from a tiny spout.
The journey of a thousand miles
starts from beneath your feet.
Rushing into action, you fail.
trying to grasp things, you lose them.
Forcing a project to completion,
you ruin what was almost ripe.
Therefore the Master takes action
by letting things take their course.
She remains as calm
at the end as at the beginning.
She has nothing,
and thus has nothing to lose.
What she desires is non-desire;
what she learns is to unlearn.
She simply reminds people
of who they have always been.
She cares about nothing but the Tao.
Thus she can care for all things.